Parental involvement is a combination of commitment and active participation on the part of parent to the school and to the student. As parents you can ensure that your child receives the benefits from parental involvement by staying up to date on what is happening in the classroom.
Tulsa Public Schools is committed to helping your child develop the academic knowledge and critical thinking he or she needs to succeed in school and beyond. As a result, these involvement opportunities empower parents to take action. By connecting parents to school officials, community members, other parents, knowledge, and powerful allies, these opportunities build bridges and networks that support schools and sustain whole communities.
To join Dual Language Academy's parent/teacher organization, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
General PTO meetings are held in the DLA cafeteria on the second Monday of each month at 5:30pm.
DLA - DUAL LANGUAGE ACADEMY Parental Involvement Policy
Dual Language Academy will involve parents in the education of their children at all grades levels. The Superintendent or his/her designee shall provide coordination, technical assistance and other support necessary to assist all schools in planning and implementing effective parent involvement activities to improve student academic achievement and school performance. Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA), Section 1118-Title I Parent Involvement establishes that to build capacity for parent involvement within schools, a district is to “develop jointly with, agree on with, and distribute to parents of participating children a written Parent Involvement Policy”. Building Parents Capacity, for Involvement.
The Dual Language Academy teachers and staff believe that empowering parents to be involved with their child and providing them with options regarding their children’s education, will help the district to realize its vision to become the “District of Choice” for patrons of the community. As a result of this belief, Dual Language Academy School shall create an environment of supportive and collaborative parent involvement.
1. Program Information for Parents: Dual Language Academy shall provide assistance to parents of all children in understanding topics such as the state’s academic content and achievement standards, the assessments being used, the requirements of Title 1, Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA), how to monitor their children’s progress, and work with educators to improve their child’s academic achievement. The school will provide parents with the necessary information to increase their child’s ability to succeed at school. This information will address specifics about DLA’s unique language program and the procedural specifics in the application process.
2. Educate Educators: Dual Language Academy shall educate staff members in the value and contributions of parents, and how to communicate with them and work with parents as equal partners.
3. Understandable Communication: Dual Language Academy shall ensure that information related to school and parent programs, meetings, and other activities is communicated to the parents of all children in a format and language the parents can understand.
- Bilingual Monthly Newsletter
- Bilingual Monthly Calendar
- Bilingual Classroom Letters
- Bilingual PTA Newsletter
- Bilingual District & Office information
4. Parents and Volunteering: Dual Language Academy will continually solicit and encourage all parents to support their children and school by volunteering to participate in various acts of service as needed and defined by the staff. The school will provide parents multiple opportunities to participate in classroom and office activities. These will include but are not limited to; learning projects, field trips, and field day. DLA offers parents the opportunity to volunteer in the office and will provide training on how to use office and school equipment.
5. Other Requested Activities: Dual Language Academy shall provide opportunities for parental involvement as parents may request or suggest. The school will have multiple events in which families are invited to participate. Some examples of events are as follows: District Art Festival, Music Program, Library/Literacy Night and Math Night are some of what is planned for this school year.
6. Additional Resources Provided for Parents:
- Recruitment information meetings, including tours of the school, prior to application period.
- Bilingual PTA/PTO.
- 8 hour bilingual Parent Liaison.
- School Website allows parents to sign up to receive texts and emails in both languages, parents can also access all teachers and staff emails for effective, quick and convenient communication. http://dla.tulsaschools.org/
- Translation headphones are provided by the district to make meetings understandable to Spanish speakers.
- Use of a computer in the Parent Liaison/Volunteer Office to research and access Powerschool.
- Assessment needs are given to families twice a year – to help us understand the needs of the families.
- Availability of a clothes closet to supply children with a uniform change as needed.
- Volunteer Information board in Parent Liaison/Volunteer Office with information on both languages.
- Parent information bulletin board in the entrance/exit leading to the office.
- School Way App sends bilingual text messages to keep parents involved in what is going on at school.
- School Messenger – Bilingual phone messages and e-mail sent by phone from DLA or the district.
- Peachjar sends school and district fliers via e-mails to keep parents posted on events that are going on with the school and the district.
This policy is in accordance with Public Law 107 – 110, Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) – Title 1 Parental Involvement
Reviewed/revised September 2017
District Involvement Information
- Stay Connected - TPS social media and smartphone app
- Tulsa Council of PTAs
- National PTA
- Booster Clubs/PTAs sanctioned organizations
- Parents as Teachers
- Student and Family Guide to Success (includes the Behavior Response Plan)
- Achieving. Classroom Excellence (ACE) Parental Curriculum Choice Letter
- Logrando la Excelencia en el Salón de Clases Carta hacia los Padres para la Selección de Currículo
- Parent Guide | Guía para Padres
- Parents Right To Know | El Derecho a Saber de los Padres
- Parent and Family Engagement Policy
- Educational Surrogate Parents Program
- All students need parental support to succeed. The Educational Surrogate Parents Program responds to the need for support and representation of students with disabilities whose parents are not available. This program relies on the commitment of volunteers who support a student's education by advocating for him/her to ensure that the student receives a free and appropriate public education.